A Certificate Signing Request (CSR) is required when applying for an SSL certificate. This CSR (and private key) can be generated on your webserver. To request a wildcard certificate, fill in an * (asterisk) for the subdomain, for example *.domainname.com (instead of www.domainname.com).
Note: Older versions of DirectAdmin allow only one IP address per account.
If there is already a Private Key and a certificate installed using DirectAdmin, a self signed certificate must first be created. After this is done you can request a new certificate using a CSR. Keep in mind that placing a domain under an administrator account may cause problems in DirectAdmin. If possible, use a reseller or user account.
- Log in to the DirectAdmin control panel.
- Go to Advanced Tools > Install SSL Certificates, or to Advanced Features > SSL Certificates (version dependent).
- Click Create a Certificate Request and enter the requested organization details.
Note: At Common Name, enter the domain for which you are requesting the certificate.
- Click Save. A new window will open showing the newly created CSR.
Renewal of currently installed certificate
To generate a new CSR for a currently installed and active certificate the following procedure is necessary to not interrupt:
- Create a back-up of the current private key and certificate from the Paste a pre-generated certificate and key field by copying the data to a temporary text file.
- Create a self-signed certificate in DirectAdmin
- Generate a new CSR in DirectAdmin
- Copy the newly generated private key from the "Paste a pre-generated certificate and key" field to a new text file, and store it safely, we will need it again for installation later on.
- Copy the original private key and certificate from the temporary text file, and paste it back to the "Paste a pre-generated certificate and key" field, overwriting the contents. Press save.
- The generated CSR can now be used for ordering the new certificate
- When the new certificate has been issued, you can paste it together with the private key that was saved safely before, into the "Paste a pre-generated certificate and key" field, and press save. Now continue with the installation of the intermediates from the installation manual.
To order a certificate, copy the entire contents of the generated CSR, including the first and last line and all dashes.